Bookseller - 25-35 hrs/ week
Moon Palace Books, a neighborhood bookstore in South Minneapolis, seeks a bookseller to work 25-35 hours / week to work in our store, host in-store events such as story hour, poetry readings, book clubs, and music as well as work at off-site events.
We're looking for someone with:
- Bookstore experience (preferably 2 years or more)
- Retail/small business experience
- Knowledge and love of a range of book genres, especially books relevant to, or written by people of color, queer authors, women and others traditionally marginalized in the publishing industry
- Great customer service and listening skills
- Comfort serving a diverse customer base
- Fluency or proficiency with Spanish is a huge plus!
- Ability to get to and from off-site sales event locations throughout Minneapolis
- Computer and internet skills
You’ll also need to be able to:
- Make change and ring up sales
- Lift heavy boxes (up to 40-50 lbs.)
- Pack and unpack boxes
- Spend long periods on your feet
- Keep store and workspace clean and organized
- Arrange and display books and other merchandise
- Evening, night, and weekend work is required when the bookstore is open for business
- Daily shelving, restocking, developement and maintenance of displays
- racking/correcting unresolved ordering and shipping issues
- Set tasks and goals and see them through to completion
- training and assisting other booksellers and other duties as needed
- Have an attention to detail, and ability to stay focused, in a sometimes chaotic, small space while working with a team of weirdos
Starting pay is $12.50 / hour, plus a staff discount on books and merchandise.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Bookseller” in the subject line. In the body of the email, please describe your relevant experience in detail, specific interest in the job, and availability. Please include 3 work references. No phone calls, please.
About Moon Palace Books:
Moon Palace Books is a neighborhood store in Minneapolis that carries a mix of new and used books. Founded in 2012, Moon Palace moved into a newly renovated 6000 square foot building in November 2017, with multiple, flexible event spaces, including an outdoor courtyard, dedicated event room, and a full service restaurant.